Saturday, August 22, 2009

Awake

9.8/10
Following the Comatose formula of 1/2 Rock and 1/2 Radio friendly Slow songs, Awake takes everything Comatose had right with it, and takes it up a notch.

Who's gonna fight for what's right? Who's gonna help us survive? We're in the fight of our lives, and we're not ready to die.
Hero
Awake kicks off with a very hook-heavy rocker. Extremely reminiscent of Linkin Park's Papercut, from Hybrid Theory. The lyrics are a simple plead to God to save us from this world that would seek to destroy our faith. The bridge, however, makes the case that the listener also needs to step up, and spread the good news, so that others may share in salvation.
I've gotta fight for what's right, today I'm speaking my mind, and if it kills me tonight I will be ready to die.

I hate what I've become, the nightmare's just begun, I must confess that I feel like a monster
Monster
Who knew 1 riff over and over would make a good song? Apparantly mainstream rock radio. And Skillet does it well enough. It's a good song, about the "monster" (sin) in us trying to get free, and destroy us. However, we cannot let it, or it will destoy us. I do have a complaint with the song. They tried to include the live Growl gimmick. It sounds terrible on the record, even humorous. I tend to just press the skip button after the bridge.
It's hiding in the dark, it's teeth are razor-sharp. There's no escape for me, it wants my soul, it wants my heart. No one can hear me scream, maybe it's just a dream, or maybe it's inside of me. Stop this monster!

And now, I guess, this is as good as it gets....
Don't Wake Me
A slow song. A very slow song. Like, zippo lighter or prom-dance slow. But not bad. The song will be easily relateable to anyone that's experienced loss of any kind. The song basically puts the narrator in a situation where he loved someone, but for one reason or another, can only be with them in his dreams.
I know, when it's you I'm dreaming of, I don't want to wake up.

I'm at war with the world, cuz I ain't never gonna sell my soul. I've already made up my mind: no matter what, I can't be bought or sold.
Awake and Alive
An anthem, without a doubt. Makes excellent use of strings. It's about standing up for what you believe in, even when the world would tell you to sit down and shut up. The chorus proclaims: I'm awake! I'm alive! Now I know what I believe inside. Now! It's my time! I'll do what I want, cuz this is my life. Here, right now, I'll stand my ground and never back down. I know what I believe inside, I'm awake and I'm alive. Expanding on "Hero's" bridge, this song is a call to arms to all believers to get out and let the world know what you believe, and that you won't back down from it. More importantly, let them know that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Light.
Forever hold this heart that I will give to You, forever I will live for You!



Time passes by, never thought I'd wind up one step behind....
One Day Too Late
Another slow song (already?), but this is more Nickelback-esque than slow dance. A simple rock ballad about living each day as you last. And let's face it, who hasn't made a song about living in the moment yet? I guess Skillet had to join the club sometime. Not a bad song, just overdone.
Your time is running out, you're never gonna get it back. So make the most of every moment and stop saving your best for last.


Let's get the story straight, you were a poison. You flooded through my veins, you left me broken. You tried to make me think that the blame was all on me with the pain you put me through, but now I know that it's not me, it's you!
It's Not Me(It's You)
Opening with the sounds of Ben picking up his guitar, then playing a suppressed, but distorted riff reminiscent of Greenday before going in to full Hard Rock mode, this is another song about a broken relationship. However, it's tongue-in-cheek, too. The title is a clear inversion to the popular cliche in a break up (it's not you, it's me), and refers to someone in some position of power abusing that power, and putting you down. Making you feel like nothing, and somehow putting the blame on you. This song is the answer to that scenario. Another explanation is that this song is speaking to the devil. He tries to make us sin, and make us hate ourselves for doing it, but in the end, it's him doing it to us. That does NOT absolve us, however, and we must still seek forgiveness.
So here we go again, the same fight we're always in. I don't care, so why pretend? Wake me when your lecture ends. You tried to make me small, make me fall and it's all your fault, with the pain you put me through, and now I know that it's not me, it's you!


Don't you understand? I don't wanna be your backup plan....
Should've When You Could've
....what the? The music...the title...the lyrics...it's just. Wow. It's a good enough song if you don't listen thinking "Skillet." It's even better if you listen thinkin "FM Static." I like FM Static, and this carries their signature sound, shockingly enough. The music is poppy, and the lyrics are about breaking up with someone that treats you poorly.
Play hard to get if it makes you happy, for change you can start chasing me.


So is it you, or is it me? I know I'm so blind when we don't agree...
Believe
Another slow song, but it's different. Very different. It's unique, which is always good, considering the direction that music, in general, is taking. John hits some killer notes at the end of the chorus. The song is almost an apology to someone you treated badly in an argument or something...but it also kind of puts some blame on them. It says I know I said some things I didn't mean, but you should have known me by now. Basically meaning that, "okay, I'm sorry, but you should know that I don't mean things like that." It's odd lyrically, but very fitting. I like the song.
You're all that I want, don't you even know me at all? You're all that I need, just tell me that you still believe.

You have forgiven all the promises and lies, all the times I compromised, all the times You were denied. You have forgiven...
Forgiven
Starting with killer piano-work from Korey, before mixing in strings and some guitar riffs. This is one of the best cross-overs I've heard in a long time. The song is begging God to forgive you for the sins, unfaithfulness, and false-idols. It repeats a line from one of my OTHER favorite Skillet slow songs, One Real Thing (I get down on my knees, feel your love wash over me). I don't know why people take exception to this. Skillet WROTE the line. They can use it how they see fit. And they used to do that all the time. More Faithful was born from the bridge of I Can. ....end rant.
Forgive me now, cuz I have been unfaithful. Don't ask me why, cuz I don't know. So many times I've tried, but was unable...but now this heart belongs to You alone.

Sometimes; don't deny that everything is wrong. Sometimes; rather die than to admit it's my fault. Sometimes when you cry, I just don't care at all. I don't know why I do the things I do to you but sometimes I don't wanna get better. Sometimes I can't be put back together. Sometimes I find it hard to believe there's someone else who could be just as messed up as me.
Sometimes
Wow. Starting with some hard-hitting guitars before breaking into metal Dual-Lead action, this song spells awesome from the first second it starts palying. It also has an awesome solo (using a voice-box. Nothing Peter Frampton worthy, but still great), and a sick outro with Alien Youth type effects. The lyrics are the type that punch you straight in the heart. Brutal honesty. But neccessary honesty. We all have a hateful side. I just learned that we need to acknowledge it...but we have to let it go, too.
I want someone to hurt like the way I hurt. It's sick but it makes me feel better. Sometimes I can't hide the demons that I face. Sometimes; don't deny: I'm sometimes sinner, sometimes saint.

Do you know what it's like when you're scared to see yourself? Do you know what it's like when you wish you were someone else?....
Never Surrender
Another cross-over of epic proportions. Starting with some nice strings, and then some guitar, played in-tune with the song itself, as opposed to riffs, this song doesn't scream "exceptional"....until you hear the words. Anyone who says they have never felt this way is either lying, or has led an extremely sheltered life. The song is begging God for help, when everything else seems dark and hopeless. The chorus cries out I don't wanna feel like this tomorrow, I don't wanna live like this today. Make me feel better, I wanna feel better. Stay with me here, now, and never surrender. I think this song would be great for To Write Love On Her Arms, like The Last Night, and will be similar to the song in terms of relatability.
Do you know what it's like when you're not who you want to be? Do you know what it's like to be your own worst enemy?....

I've gotta live with the choices I made, and I can't live with myself today.
Lucy
A piano ballad, but don't go in with any expectations. They will be blown away. Despite the totally simple piano chord that the Jonas Brothers could play, this song is EPIC. Inspired by abortion, but applicable to a number of different scenarios. The best ballad Skillet has ever done, and probably my third or fourth favorite ballad of all time. Ever.
I know I'd do it all different if I had the chances, but all I've got are these roses to give, and they can't help me make ammends.

Don't you leave me here alone in all this fear...
Dead Inside
Wow. Why wasn't this song included in the original album? Starting with a nice hook before adding in heavily distorted riffs and present, but not overwhelming, stings, this song is epic. It's about the feeling that one has without God. Feeling empty, and hopeless. The deluxe edition is worth it just for this song.
Dead inside, my heart and soul flatline. Put your mouth on mine and bring me back to life. Dead inside, no other satisfies. My blood runs dry, take my life, save me from this death inside.

If my time was up I'd wanna know you were happy I was there
Would It Matter
A slower song, almost similar to Believe musically. Lyrically, it's about regretting the bad decisions you made, and wondering if anyone would miss you if you were gone. Wondering if you made any impact at all. A good song, but a bad choice for an album closer.
I know I'm a mess and I wanna be someone that I lke better.

4 comments:

  1. You are my go to site for Skillet! Thanks! I can't wait till midnight! My order at local christian bookstore won't be in tomorrow so I have to buy it twice cause i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious as to why, exactly, you say "Would It Matter" is not a good choice for an album closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenna: Sometimes, as an incredibly dark song, has a hopeful followup. It's Not Me and Should've as negative songs have Believe and Forgiven as followups. Lucy is about regret and sorrow, and was good closer that got you thinking, but Would It Matter, while about the same thing, is presented in a much darker way. It also doesn't have the "sound" of a closer.

    WAKE UP! the Blog: Awesome. Thanks for the support. You also may want to check out myspace.com/panheads for exclusive updates and contests to win Skillet merchandise.

    ReplyDelete