Friday, July 10, 2009

Alien Youth

10/10
Skillet's 2001 release, Alien Youth, took their techno to a whole new level by fusing it with
Hard Rock (think The Fire Breathes, and heavier)...

**Fun Fact: The sound for this album was HEAVILY influenced by Mortal's Fathom album, one of John's favorties. The first song from that tape is called Alive and Awake. Coincidentally, the title of one of the songs from Skillet's upcoming album, Awake, is called Awake and Alive.**

It's been confirmed that the aliens have landed.
Alien Youth
Kicking off with techno sounds and loud distorted guitars, the listener can just tell they're in for a treat. Essentially an anthem for Christians, calling us to be not of this world, and join the Alien Youth, in an attempt to change it for the better.
Worldwide Jesus domination, love conquers all!

I'm a beep, I'm a vapor, I'm just a blinking light!
Vapor
One of the heaviest on the record, Vapor slams in with lyrics about how fleeting our lives are, but how much of a difference we can make while we're here.
I'm a beep, I'm a vapor, and I'm about to evaporate.

One man, one mission, one plot to save the world....
Earth Invasion
Then, the pop-heavy Earth Invasion comes in, with a continuation of the theme presented in Alien Youth. Describing the coming of the Kingdom of God as an Alien Invasion, they tell everyone they need to repent if they want to have eternal life. They just use more fun, metaphorical phrasing.
Join us in the army that's arising, the truth invades your mind. Every day the Kingdom is advancing...The earth invasion has just begun!

You're the hope of all the Earth
You Are My Hope
The albums first ballad, the song is more straightforward than any have been so far in the record. It's a cry out to God, that we need Him, and He can fix anything.
Nations stream and angels sing, "Jesus reigns"

Save me from my rage and my humanity! I'm more nothing than being, is this my legacy? Feel it eating me away!
Eating Me Away
After a slow start, this song is one of the heaviest on the record. Talking of how our imperfections and short comings can eat us alive, and how God has forgiven us from them, is
song stands out as the best on the record, in my opinion.
All that I am, all that I want, all that I lack, come on and save me!

Break my bones and reset me...
Kill Me, Heal Me
This song starts before you know Eating Me Away is over, and kicks off with blazing guitars that sound like they belong more on Skillet's next record, Collide. The industrial effects and the distorted voice during the verses are the only indications that this song belongs on this record. Pleading God to break us, and make us what He wants us to be, this song carries over a common theme from Invincible.
I can't live without it!

I wanna taste it, I need to taste it, deep in the Savior's arms.
The Thirst is Taking Over
An extremely creepy, dark song is next. Slow at first, but gets almost as heavy as Eating Me Away after the bridge, in the final 2 minutes. The song speaks from the point of view of someone who is demon possessed, crying out to Jesus to save them. Plenty of dark symbolism and a 6 and a half minute run time help cement this song as one of the most memorable on the record.
Hardly breathe, I'm in urgent need, You know the thirst is taking over.

Speak, and my heart starts aching. Reach, and the numbness dims. Beat, still my minds uncertain. Breathe, it begins again.
One Real Thing
The albums second ballad. This is actually my favorite ballad on the record. It's a praise song, straight from us to God. Plain and simple.
You are the One Real Thing, You are the One True Thing that I know. You are the One Real Thing no matter what the future brings, You're the One Real Thing! I get down on my knees and I feel Your Love wash over me!

The fear tries to take me, The flesh tries to pull. Blackness all around me but I'm undefeatable!
Stronger
Another song in the running for heaviest of the record, it has a heavy industrial sound that puts Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, and Nine Inch Nails to shame. Lyrically, it is straghtforward...I'm stronger than the devil. If we rely on God, evil cannot touch us.
All creation watches for Him to arrive!

You say that God is dead but you're rippin' me off!
Ripping Me Off
Another heavy song, but one that focuses more on the industrial aspect, even including an EXTREMELY distorted voice in the beginning. For those wondering, the voice is saying "I will always believe" or "I must believe" (I think it's the first one, but I've heard it both ways). The lyrics come from an interesting story of John Cooper attending a Marilyn Manson concert, and got angry because of how he was influencing the generation, and felt that he was "ripping them off".
They can't believe in a loving God Who doesn't believe in atheists!

As I fall to sleep, will You comfort me? When my heart is weak, will You rescue me?
Will You Be There?
The third ballad, this is a simple cry to God for help. The alternating vocals from John and Korey are beautifully done.
Will You be there as I grow cold? Will You be there when I'm falling down?

I'm out of touch, out of reach. But I'm running towards you and it's all I believe.
Come My Way
A piano ballad. Personally, I'd rather they didn't close on a ballad, but it's still a better closer than their Debut's. The lyrics are again, simple and unobstructed by metaphors. It's a cry out to God to notice you, and help you.
What would it take for You to walk towards me?

No comments:

Post a Comment