Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Skillet (album)

5/10
Skillet's 1996 debut album kicks off their career with a grunge sound.

When I feel the pain, I know why I feel strange. And when I hear the rooster crow, I am ashamed.
I Can
A typical grunge song, starting softly, picking up, getting soft, getting heavy, on and on and on. The lyrics are about someone who is lost or separated from God for some reason realizing that they can go back to Him.
Do you really love my soul, even after I hated you? And do you really know my name, can I really come to you? Are you really more faithful than the changing of the seasons and the morning sun? And do you really know my name? Can I really come to you? I can! I don't care if the rooster crows!

You want to soak my heart in gasoline, light a match and consume me. Soak my pride in gasoline. All of you and none of me!
Gasoline
Another typical grunge song, but slightly heavier than I Can. The lyrics describe being hurt, and wanting to protect our heart, and realizes that Jesus took all our sin away for us when he died for us.
I'm sitting with my heart out on the table next to a bloody mess that was once a man's heart. I looked at God and said "What do you want me to do with this?" He said "already done, already done, already done, that heart was Jesus"

Saturn has a ring around it, you can never see it with your eyes...
Saturn
The first ballad on the album. Nothing extraordinary. The lyrics kind of make fun of the fact that we can't see the rings around Saturn, but we believe that they are there. So then why don't we believe in Heaven and God, even if we can't see them?
Heaven has a ring around you! If you don't see it, know that it's true!

...oh, by the way, did you see me dressed in my-my beautiful robe?
My Beautiful Robe
A good grunge/rock song with a slight pop edge to the guitar. Lyrically, it is about trying to be perfect in the eyes of man, even though we cannot possibly hope to achieve perfection, or else Christ's sacrifice would have been worthless.
I was "crucified" with Christ, but how come I'm not dead? God gave me a cross, but I built my own instead...
***I would also like to explain the line I chose above: I believe that "crucified" is meant to mean that our physical bodies will die, and we have not been perfect. The question "how come I'm not dead" means: My sins should have condemned me to Hell, but why aren't I there?***

I am a promise maker, I-I am a promise breaker!
Promise Blender
Another pop-grunge tune. Talking about how we can make promises to man, and keep them, because they tend to be one time commitments. But we shouldn't make a promise to God, because those are for eternity, and we, being imperfect, cannot hope to keep those.
All I would heear You say is "you are the promise taker, you are the promise taker, you are the promise taker! Put them in your promise blender!

We cover up our shame, we walk in black and white, we turn this ground for hunger....WHY DID WE TAKE THAT BITE!?
Paint
A good grunge song about the first story in Genesis: God gave Adam and Eve everything anyone could want, and simply told them to not eat fruit from ONE specifiic tree. They did, and they lost it all. Why did they take that bite? But would anyone else have done something else if being tempted? Why would we take that bite? The choruses (paint me with an endless sunrise, paint me, yeah! paint me and open my eyes, paint me with the color of love) are asking God for forgiveness and direction, now that we have been lost to sin.
You took a walk on the planet, you gave us shade and light. You create mood and substance, how can I take a bite?

Safe with you, safe with you.
Safe With You
Another ballad, this time about the character of a loving God, who will protect us from Sin and a Second Death.
Lifting up my voice to the God who really sees, the God who is consumed with loving thoughts of me.

Come on, take your time. Try to choose the most believeable lie
You Thought
A song that starts off nice and heavy, then fades to what sounds like elavator music. The two sounds switch back and forth throughout the song. The song is about someone doing things, and faking regret. While it may fool man, God can see that you are not truly repentful.
To me it's no big surprise, I saw the emptiness in your eyes.

You have no boundaries. You cross my borders.
Boundaries
Not quite a ballad, but not as quite rocking as the rest of the album up to this point. The song is about letting God in your heart, and allowing Him to control of your life.
You are more than all that is outside of me. You are more than the riches inside of me.

Splinter me, splinter me...my heart, my head, splinter me.
Splinter
Musically in the same vein as Boundaries, and not an ideal closer for an album. The songs asks God to break us, and do His will to us.
Jesus whispered softly, Jesus shouted it out. His kingdom body is coming, but we nail Him up and hate each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment