Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Invincible

5/10
Skillet's 2000 release, Invincible, brought their techno/electronic rock to a whole new level.

You're the best kept secret in my generation, the best kept secret of all time.
Best Kept Secret
Opening with blazing synthesizers, the song points out the sad truth that God is a secret, that too many people keep. It's a straightforward, great song.
And I can't live for myself, I can't keep this all to myself.

You take my rights away, you take control, no stopping you. You take my rights away, I can take it!
You Take My Rights Away
After a slow, techno intro, the song takes off and proves to be one of the heavier songs on the record. The song is another straightforward song about surrendering your life to God.
You define me with your identity, lose my life in you, I can take, I'll take what it cost me.

I'm invincible, I'm unshakeable through the truth in my soul.
Invincible
A slower techno song, it's still powerful. The song once again proves to be straightforward. It is about life after death. Jesus died for us so we could be with Him forever, making us invincible.
You know you just can't kill a man when he's dead, you know the spirit survives (Invincible!). You can't stop the advance of the kingdom to come, you know the truth is alive (Invincible!).

...and I come. And I rest in the shelter of Your love. And I rest in the wonder of Your grace. And I rest in the shelter of Your love. And I rest in the wonder of You.
Rest
The albums first ballad, it's actually one of my favorite songs on the album. The message is once again clear. We can also find strength and shelter in God.
Take all the old and You make it new. Everything I give to You. You're the hope that can pull me through. Hallelujah!

Come on, come on, come on to the future. Come all, come all the way. Come on, come on, come on to the future. The future is arranged.
Come on to the Future
Techno music laced with loud guitars makes one good song. The song itself would seem at first about destiny or fate, when really, if you read further in the lyrics, it's about the end of the world. It's about the coming of the Kingdom of God, and the Rapture. It's a song of hope, however, because when that day comes we will be set free from our sins. We will be set free from our pain, our shame, our past.
Invisible kingdom collides with space and time!

You're powerful, You're unshakeable!
You're Powerful
One of the heaviest, fastest songs on the record. This is basically a praise/worship song...Skillet style. Describing God as unchanging, omnipotent, and benevolent.
And when the ground begins to shake, and when my courage starts to fade, I let my fears go.

When I can't see, I will trust You! And when I get weak, I trust You! And when I just can't let it go, I trust that You are in control.
I Trust You
Another fairly heavy song, this song is about the difficult task of letting go of your own life and trusting that God knows what is best for you.
Caught in between knowing You and trusting me.

We must hold onto our faith in each other!
Each Other
The second ballad on the album, and the closest to a piano ballad a techno song can get. The
song is basically about trusting other people, whether it be to strenghten you, force you to be
accountable, or anything.
...But we gotta believe and stand together

It lives inside of me...The fire breathes!
The Fire Breathes
The heaviest song on the record, without a question. An excellent song about how, once the Word of God takes root in your heart, it will continue to spread. It will consume everything, and it is up to you to spread that fire to others, and let them know the Good News.
And I need life in this dead man to make me free!

Can't help but speak of what I've seen and heard. I understand just what the purpose is. Uncover peace; uncover hope for all to see. And I can't keep quiet, gotta shout it out to You! Say It Loud
A song that sounds like 80s rock combined with some techno. Basically a song similar to Best
Kept Secret, but the total opposite. The song is about spreading the Good News, to anyone and everyone.
Come right away to find the joy I've found. Don't hesitate to give up everything. Discover peace; discover hope, meaning of life. I've got to say it, gotta shout it out to You!

I carry on without knowing how, I've never needed how I'm needing now.
The One
Another ballad, this is a more typical praise song. Not much needs to be said more than that.
And You're the One that I need. The One who makes me complete. And You're the One who is strong When I am crying and weak. And You're the One that I love. The One who never gives up. And You're the One that I need. You're the One, You're the One.

The life inside is breaking out!
You're In My Brain
A final heavy song, it combines techno and hard rock similar to The Fire Breathes. The song is another one about giving your life to God, and letting Him take control.
You're in my mind, in my mind; Breaking out!

I saw angels fall down at the glory of the Lord and as I raise my hands I sing.
Angels Fall Down
A hidden worship song. Very slow, but somewhat haunting, the way Cooper's vocals combine with the music.
I saw angels fall down at the glory of the Lord the hurt and the broken find rest here.

1 comment: